Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cheevos: Satisfaction for a job well done

By TeeBoan
Sythbane Squadron contributor

This is a follow-up to our beloved Fartknocckker's post concerning Achievements (cheevos).

I agree with him whole-heartedly. However, I would like to add to it.

Recently, I had a conversation with a friend who is admittedly hooked on cheevos. In talking with him, I discovered that he sits at a desk and “puts out fires” all day. I, on the other hand, work in the trades and have for twenty years now. When my day is over, I have a sense of accomplishment, because I can see what I have accomplished. This friend doesn’t experience this luxury.

I like cheevos because I get a sense of accomplishment from them, but I am reasonably assured that my friend gets a greater satisfaction out of cheevos because he rarely gets a sense of accomplishment from his daily work life.

Cheevos come in all types and sizes, and each game has its own philosophy in how it implements them. Call of Duty: World at War took me four or five weeks to get all 1,000 cheevos. That was work, hard work. Avatar: The Burning Earth gave me 1,000 cheevos in under a minute.

Each game has its own emotions that go with earning the cheevos. CoD:WaW obviously was the more difficult and returned a hard-earned “I did it” set of emotions. Avatar returned a different set of emotions that were exhilarating for only a few minutes.

Don't overlook the way cheevos are set up in each game, because they may be too easy or too hard. We have to pick and choose which ones we want to add to our ever-growing gamerscore.

At any time in the future, each Achievement can be browsed and remembered. Men are by nature very task-oriented, and we like our cheevos. Cheevos represent tasks. Whether you see little accomplishment at work or otherwise, or if you see tasks accomplished daily, achievements can provide satisfaction. Sometimes it's only a little satisfaction, but sometimes they bring great satisfaction.

Cheevos may be insignificant in life, but they nevertheless can give us a little bit of enjoyment and happiness.

Keep on Keepin’ on!



TeeBoan feels a great sense of accomplishment every time he snuffs you in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

No comments: