Sunday, August 9, 2009

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra rocks!

Go see G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra! Fortiscule, Crownshend and I saw it together on Saturday, and it's great! Here are a few of my reactions, with no spoilers:

- Scarlett is way hot, especially in her black body armor.

- The friendship and banter between Duke and Ripcord is entertaining. Both are cooler characters than I expected.

- I had been dubious of the accelerator suits, but they turned out to be a minor part of the overall movie and worked well in the film. They looked great in the chase scene that's teased in the trailer.

- The over-the-top technology and gadgets are so prevalent, so overwhelming, that you either buy into the whole thing or you don't. We just sat back and enjoyed it.

- The action is fast, fast, fast. Your attention is so riveted that you hardly realize what a long film it is until it's over.

- The only thing I hated was the immobile mouth on Snake Eyes' mask. What was that supposed to be? The outline of his real mouth? Come on. Put a ventilated mask on it and let Ray Park breathe, for crying out loud. The mask made one of the coolest characters too weird. Ray Park's swordsmanship and martial arts, though, are incredible.

- There are so many great characters, there are endless possibilities for sequels and spin-offs. They should get cracking on that!




The Toys

The 12" Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow action figures were released prior to the movie, so I already had them. After leaving the movie, I found the new batch of four 12" action figures at Target. It's Duke, Ripcord, Cobra Commander and a Neo Viper. Duke and Ripcord are excellent head sculpts. I'll review the toys later, because knowing is half the battle.

No comments: